I’m really talking about little acts of kindness here, not doing everything for your spouse. Here are some little ways to care for your husband that will make his life better or give him a little pick me up. You can also use these as little tips to help make your wife’s life better too!
Everyone has different love languages, but these are really great if your partner appreciates acts of service. Even if some of these aren’t immediately noticeable, most of them will make your spouse’s life easier. It’s not just doing things… If you can solve problems to make everything run smoothly, all the better!
I’m also a big fan of couples playing to their strengths. If your husband or wife is disorganized or overwhelmed, many of these little ways to show you care will make life easier.
Finally, I find that being kind helps me feel better about my relationship and keeps my own negative feelings in check. If your marriage is rocky these won’t fix anything, but if you’re just in a rough patch little “I love yous” go a long way.
Here are some little ways you can care for your husband (or wife):
Note: These are written from a wife to husband but you could definitely do many of these for your wife or in LGBTQ+ couples too. 🙂
- Even if he should be picking up after himself, pick up something he forgot about without complaining.
- Complete one of his chores.
- Clean up his space, or create a space for him.
- Have a tidy home when he gets home.
- Replace any toiletries that need replacing like his toothbrush or razor.
- Surprise him with his favourite meal or dessert.
- Pick him up a small gift that will make his life better, like a new lamp or mug.
- If he doesn’t mind, clean his closet and organize it.
- Iron his clothes for him.
- Make sure the laundry is done and put away so he can find what he needs easily.
- Create a space where he can lay out his work things in the morning to make things easier.
- Buy him something new – bonus points if it’s something his wardrobe is missing.
- Replace old socks and underwear.
- Create time for him to spend with the kids or plan an outing for them.
- Give him a break from the kids so he can do something he wants to do.
- If he is close with his family, invite them over for a family meal, movie, or board game.
- Help him stay organized and keep track of important things, like family birthdays, if he’s not great at remembering.
Other small acts of kindness for your husband
- Hide love notes around the house.
- Charge up his devices for him.
- Clean out, wash, or detail his car.
- Make sure his travel mug and lunch containers are cleaned daily.
- Pack a lunch for him.
- Plan a date for the two of you.
- Do something together at home that he likes doing: eg. watching his favourite show.
- Send him an unexpected love email or text.
If I’m honest, part of the reason I wanted to write this list was for myself. I need these reminders! It’s so easy for me to get wrapped up in the housework, kids, and work that I forget to remind my partner how much I care about him.
I should also note here that you don’t have to do all these things all the time. Life is already exhausting enough! Just if you want to do a little something extra to make your spouse’s life easier.