Chicken noodle soup with lemon… Is there a better combo? Seriously, no matter how many different soups I try I’m always coming back to the classics. That includes this lemon chicken soup recipe; it’s perfect for fall and winter… Or anytime you want a easy, warm, and tasty meal.
Unlike your store bought variety, this chicken soup has bold flavours like fresh lemon juice and dill. If you know me, you’d know dill is one of my all time favourite herbs – and it really brings out the chicken and lemon tastes in this soup recipe.
I’m hungry again just thinking about it!
Quick and Easy Weeknight Chicken Noodle Soup With Lemon
There’s nothing more frustrating to me than a soup recipe that takes forever to make. I mean I like a good long simmered soup as much as the next person, but when I have a hankering for something warm for dinner I don’t always have hours to spare.
Ditto for cutting up a bunch of needy ingredients – this one uses just a few. You might even have all or most of these ingredients on hand!
Altogether this soup only takes about 30 minutes to whip up. So easy for lunch or dinner! (And healthy too.)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup orzo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 juice of lemon
- A handful of fresh dill
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the diced vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken breasts and then broth over everything.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and cut them up.
- Cook orzo in broth for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pot after shredding it with two forks.
- Stir in the fresh dill and seasonings. Serve immediately, with some extra fresh dill and lemon juice on top!